Preparing for your Headshot Photo Shoot
I’m much looking forward to meeting you in the near future for your headshot session. To help you prepare for your shoot, there are a few simple things you can do prior to your session to make the most of the shoot and get the best out of your images.
Prepare in advance
1. Think through what you want to wear.
- Have a think about your brand, how you want to appear to your ideal clients/customers, what colours look good on you, styles that work etc. You want to show off your unique personality and for your images to be in keeping with your business.
- Wear colours that suit you and clothing that fits! And avoid wearing something that you wouldn’t normally wear. Or outfits that are either too loose or too tight which can make you appear bigger than you are – I want you to love your images and how you look.
- Generally for headshots, we want the focus to be on your face; so solid colours for your clothing are a good idea. Having said that, gentle/subtle patterns can look really great, so have a play with your outfit in advance to see what you feel most comfortable in.
- Accessories are my favourite thing! Jackets, hats, scarves or hair accessories are a great way to add variety to your images and might also help to provide images that work year round – you may want some more ‘summery’ shots as well as images that work during the colder months of the year.
- Jewellery is a really simple way to change up your images – so feel free to bring along earrings or necklaces etc.
2. Consider your hair and make-up
- We want you to look your best for your headshot session, whilst still looking like YOU, so I suggest you wear your ‘every day’ make-up with a little extra care and detail thrown in for your session. This could be the full works for some, or just a top up of lipstick for others.
- If you’re investing in headshots for your business, you may want to consider using it as an excuse to have a professional blow dry before your session! If you have longer hair, personally I would recommend you keep your hair down for a headshot session, as it is generally more flattering – however, if you’re someone who wears your hair up all the time, feel free to ignore me!
- Pretty much every single one of my clients tell me they hate having their photo taken! But it is my job and my pleasure to make your session as fun and painless as possible, so don’t worry about a thing and let’s enjoy your shoot, now that you are prepared and ready!